Thoreau School Counselor: Ms. Powers!
Hello Thoreau Families,
My name is Madison Powers-Bergeson and I am the school counselor here at Thoreau Elementary! It is an absolute honor and joy to work alongside Thoreau’s dedicated staff and families. I am here for all our students and I am committed to helping them grow emotionally, socially and academically.
Here are some of the ways I serve our students/families:
- I partner with teachers to deliver Social Emotional Lessons in all classrooms throughout the school year. This year counselor lessons will be in the form of Asynchronous activities and fun videos, so stay tuned!
SMALL GROUP COUNSELING
- Group counseling is available for students who may need counseling support. Group topics include: Friendship, Family Changes, Social Skills, Self-Regulation, Anxiety.
- I will see a student individually for various reasons, but I do not provide on-going therapy. I have a list of local counselors if needed. Contact me if interested.
CONNECTION TO RESOURCES
- See below for resources or reach out directly for help.
- Curbside Pick Up Lunches:
Where: FREE pick up meals are available at 6 locations including Finn Hill Middle School.
When: Monday through Friday's from 11:15am to 1:00pm
How: Order online here Parents/Guardians or students can pick-up meals.
- Pantry Packs: Pantry Packs are a pack of kid-friendly non-perishable snacks and pantry items for the weekend. If you would like to receive pantry packs, please contact Ms. Powers.
- Pandemic EBT program: Your student may be eligible for a new food assistance program called Pandemic EBT (P-EBT). P-EBT provides families with funds to make up the cost of meals while school was closed. This benefit is for ALL children in Washington who receive free or reduced-price school meals. These benefits will be on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card which is used like a debit card to buy groceries.
- Deadline to apply is September 11, 2020. or Call 877–501–2233 Apply online
- LWSD Child Care Resources
- The YMCA LEAP Academy. LWSD Locations: Sandburg, Mead, Mann, Rush and Dickinson.
- Child Care for Essential Workers through Boys and Girls Club
- Child Care Aware of Washington
- Extended Day: LWSD extended day programs are operating at Frost, Keller, Kirk and Clara Barton Elementary Schools.
- Application form
- Rates: Rates: $265/week; $55/day
- Youth East Side Services. Counseling agency providing telehealth services and some in-person services. phone: 425-747-4937 website: https://www.youtheastsideservices.org/
- Consultation with Ms. Powers. Please email or call for a wellbeing consultation with Ms. Powers. firstname.lastname@example.org 425-936-2812 x57216
If you need to drop off a Resources and Support Form for Ms. Powers, there is a Locked Drop Box outside the main entrance.